Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Is it Spring yet?

I've never been shy about admitting that I'm a fair weathered runner. I've somewhat adapted to the cold - particularly since I've invested in some good cold-weather running clothes from Brooks - and I'll still get out in the wind even though it's worse than being a rat and running the wheel at the gym. One or the other I can tolerate - though I can hardly say I "enjoy" the conditions. Today however, with temperatures in the teens, snow/sleet on the ground, and gusty winds above 50 mph, there was no way I could tough out even 100 yards. Un-fair weather. I knew the sunny 60 degree weather that we had over the weekend was only a tease of things to come in April - but I didn't know that to enjoy two nice days of early Spring would require trading it for a full week of arctic blizzard-like conditions. Needless to say - I'm huddled indoors by my electric heater staying warm with thoughts of popping in my Badwater running video as my digital fireplace.

The good thing about nasty weather is that it forces you to stay off your legs - which is a hard thing for me to do. Forced rest is a good thing - even with the nagging thought in the back of my head that I should be doing SOMETHING active. Tomorrow will be a gym day if the streets are clear enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment